Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Being called out

Here's the deal: 

I get lazy.  Or tired.  Or lazy.  Or I'm not really even sure which is which anymore.  All I know it, I tend to drop the ball.  On stuff like emails.  Phone calls.  Birthday cards.  Christmas presents.  Thank you cards.

I don't think it's because I'm thoughtless- but maybe it is?  I would hate to think that was the answer.  At the same time, I would hate to think that I drop the ball because I'm in the early stages of dementia.

Shit.  Which is worse?

Thoughtless?  Early stages of dementia?  Thoughtless?  Early stages of dementia?

I really don't forget for forever and ever.  I do get the thank you cards out, I do get the birthday cards out, and I do get the Christmas presents out; just never mind that the beginning words attached to everything typically follow the format of: "Dear _____, I hope you agree with the mindset of better late than never- because if you don't, I'm screwed."

Real nice way to start off a letter.  Or an email.  Or a tag.

I've been called out on a couple things recently that have caught my attention and have forced me to say that I  promise to do better.  One is responding to emails that are full of thought and love and attention, and the other is responding to blog comments (that are full of thought and love and attention).

To be honest I didn't know that people really went back and looked through comments; however, it should be noted that apparently people do go back and look through comments.  So.  I'm going to work on it.

And the emails?  I always want to respond but I typically look through emails during five-minute breaks.  I want to spend time with my responses- put a lot of thought and appreciation in them.  Problem is, I forget.  And then, well.  So.  I'm going to work on it.

Thoughtless?  Early stages of dementia?  Thoughtless?  Early stages of dementia?

Both seem shady to me.  Makes me think I should take a break on the Diet Coke.