Monday, August 1, 2011

Late night TV and being taught a lesson

I admit it.  I watch Keeping Up with the Kardashians.  I do.  I do, I do, I do....  (I'm not going to apologize.  I'm not going to apologize.  I'm not going to apologize.)  There's something about being beautiful, business smart, sexy, spoiled, rich, and at times funny, that draws me in.  Plus I can't get over Kim's ass.  It's true.  Ends up that I'm somewhat of a buns person, which is why I never participate in bowling.  I don't have an ass worthy of bowling and I know (because I do it) that everyone is staring at the buns when one walks up to the edge of the alley and throws that ball down.  And because I can't handle that kind of pressure, I abstain from the bowling alley.  Really, it's better that way.

So the show I watched yesterday featured the two youngest gals in the family being forced to go to a homeless shelter in order to "be taught a lesson."  "To appreciate what they have."  "To stop being so spoiled."  So on and so forth.  They were grouchy, they were bratty, they used an entire bottle of Germ-X to be sure not to catch anything.

After the whole Germ-X scene, the crew is led into a gymnasium with children running this way and that; the pouts didn't go away until one of their older sisters joined the adventure.  At that point they were able to smile and seemed more willing to actually look at the people in the room rather than just scowl.  Within minutes a beautiful young woman who resides at the shelter with her father and siblings extended her hand and gave the Kardashian family a tour.  She was gentle, smart, and laid her life out on the table.

In the end, the ladies leave the shelter much more appreciative of the life they live.  Now, because they have seen "the other side," they will do their best to be less bratty and perhaps even stop stealing their dad's credit card to make incredibly high dollar purchases at every whim.  They can't believe that their bedrooms are the size of the entire living space of the young woman they met and her family members who sleep on bunk beds and the floor.  They can't believe the food that is served.  And the bathroom?  GASP.

You know who I wonder about?  The young woman whose life was showcased in order for the Kardashians to appreciate their own.  How did she feel after they left?  Did she have a  new appreciation for life?  Did she feel good about being an example?  Being "the other side?"  What was it like for her, leading the way, showing her clean living space, all while having to look at the perfectly coiffed heads and faces of the Kardashians as they gasped and shook their heads in disbelief?  I wonder... what did this young woman gain?  What did she lose?  How is she right this very minute?